Naturopathic Approach to Endometriosis and Polycystic Ovaries

 

Endometriosis and polycystic ovaries result from endocrine disruption caused by heavy metal poisoning, industrial chemicals, plastics and synthetic hormones.

These are liable to cause a syndrome, known as syndrome X, which is associated with insulin resistance and disruption of normal female hormone function. The insulin resistance causes high blood insulin levels and paradoxically high blood sugar levels.

Clinically, Syndrome X is manifested by mental instability, abnormal tiredness, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis and breast cancer.

The causes of endocrine disruption include heavy metal poisoning, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), Bisphenol A, phthalates and DDT.

Heavy metal poisoning results from dental mercury and from cadmium in traffic fumes. 

PCBs are by products of petroleum refining.  They are concentrated in the fatty tissue of fish and meat, so that food accounts for about 90% of the human intake. House dust, that has been contaminated with decorating and cleaning materials, accounts for the other 10%.

The acute effects of exposure to PCBs are well known from the Monsanto fiasco in the USA, in which direct skin contact with a PCB chemical weed killer caused chloracne and cancer of the skin, liver and brain. River contamination with PCBs causes feminisation of male river fish.

Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor present in some plastic water and food containers, baby feeding bottles, some dental materials and in the lining of some tinned food cans.

Phthalates are endocrine disruptors that are occasionally contained in soft toys, flooring, cosmetics and air fresheners.

DDT (dichloro diphenyl trichloroethane) is a banned insecticide that is still implicated in endocrine disruption.

Conventional treatment of endometriosis and polycystic ovaries

Conventional synthetic female hormone supplements and surgical treatment are not always successful since the underlying chemical toxicity and associated insulin resistance are not addressed.

Naturopathic treatment of endometriosis and polycystic ovaries

Detoxification of the chemical poisoning is achieved through good hydration and selected naturopathic supplements. Particular attention is paid to supporting the liver, which is the principal organ of detoxification. 

Insulin resistance is treated nutritionally with a high fibre/low glycaemic index diet (including lean organic meats, organic whole grains, leafy greens, fresh organic fruit and vegetables, with minimal intake of sugar) and regular exercise.

Naturopathic treatment may also include selected supplements of essential fatty acids and chromium picolinate  (to optimise blood sugar metabolism).

After detoxification, natural female hormone cream may be applied topically if indicated by vegatesting.

© 2018 by Integrated Medical Centre. All rights reserved.

Registered member of The Complementary Medical Association.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon